We know that our Class of 2020 students and families are anxiously awaiting news of White Settlement ISD’s plans for graduation as well as future events. We thank you for your patience and understanding. We’ve been awaiting Governor Abbott’s announcement regarding the Stay at Home Order yesterday to make some decisions about the future. The governor announced Monday that the Order will expire April 30, and Texas will begin reopening establishments in phases on May 1.
Brewer High School’s Graduation Ceremony will be Thursday, July 16. At this time, it is our hope and desire to provide an in-person ceremony for our students at Dickie’s Arena. However, any decision will prioritize the health of our students, families and staff, pending the guidance of the Governor’s Task Force and local and state officials. We are developing several alternative plans in the event that we are unable to hold graduation at Dickie’s Arena. The following are a few scenarios that will be considered:
- Each graduating senior may be limited to the number of individual “tickets” they receive for graduation, if the event is held at Dickie’s Arena.
- The ceremony would be held in the Brewer Fine Arts Center during the day (July 16), with ONLY the graduating seniors in attendance and limited WSISD personnel. In this scenario, the ceremony would be simulcast that evening so students and their families would have the opportunity to watch graduation and celebrate together.
- The ceremony would be filmed in sections; smaller groups of graduating seniors would come to the auditorium during specified blocks of time. The full ceremony would be simulcast for all students and families on the evening of July 16.
WSISD wishes to provide a ceremony that is as close to the traditional graduation experience as possible during this unprecedented time. We want to recognize and celebrate our seniors because they are truly a remarkable group of young people. We will make a final decision regarding the Graduation Ceremony after the Governor’s announcement on May 18.
The date for Prom is Friday, June 19. WSISD will make a final decision whether to move forward with plans after the Governor’s Address on May 18.
We have a surprise for our seniors that are coming to Clifford Street. Be sure and drive by Clifford in front of Albertsons for a special recognition for our Senior Class of 2020 on Friday!
College Decision Day 2020 - Friday, May 1
Watch the BHS and WSISD social media for a video of our seniors celebrating their decision
to pursue a higher education!
BHS seniors/families, email a photo of your senior in his/her college/military shirt or with something that lets us know what his/her future plans are to email@example.com! We’re posting the photos on the district Facebook and Instagram pages.
Drive-Thru Laptop Drop Off for Seniors Only - May 15 (Details coming soon! Drop off for additional grade levels will be at a later date.)
Drive-Thru Graduation Robe Pickup - May 15 (Details coming soon!)
What is cancelled?
- All state and national competitions have been cancelled through August.
- BHS Awards Nights, all Banquets and any other BHS or WSISD events not already mentioned are cancelled for the school year. No face-to-face group gatherings will be allowed by WSISD during the month of May. The BHS Scholarship Night, Awards Night and the Seal of Biliteracy Ceremony will be held virtually for seniors only as well as the Hats Off Recognition Ceremony for the top 20.
- Organizations may have virtual banquets. We will not be able to reschedule banquets and other events like these. Our priority at this time is to ensure that our seniors are able to participate in a graduation ceremony. We will continue to make every attempt to limit the gatherings of larger groups in the future.
- We will explore ways that we can bring smaller groups of our seniors together to receive their awards from the various organizations such as athletic teams and extra-curricular programs after May 18.
- Students who are unable to participate in the July 16 ceremony (whether in-person or simulcast) will be included in the ceremony (families must ensure that WSISD has a senior photo of your child if one was not taken for the yearbook).
Plans for Summer Events
We will provide more information regarding Summer PRIDE, WSISD Summer Camps, Summer School, etc. in mid-May.