The WSISD District Planning Committee (DPC), which consists of teachers, administrators, parents, community members and other school employees, has developed the Proposed 2017-18 District Academic Calendar. Parents and staff members are encouraged to provide input regarding the proposed calendar March 20-29. The official calendar will not be adopted until May.
The first day of school will be Monday, Aug. 21 if WSISD is approved by the Texas Education Agency to become a District of Innovation. This would allow WSISD to be exempt from the Texas Education Code that requires students to start school no earlier than the fourth Monday of August.
When developing the proposed calendar, some of the factors the DPC considers are:
• The state requires that all students attend school for 75,600 minutes annually.
• Teachers must work 187 days per school year.
• Equitable six weeks grading periods ensure that students have an equal amount of instruction each grading period.
• The first semester should end prior to Christmas Break to ensure that secondary students may take final exams prior to the holidays.
• Staff Development Days will be placed strategically throughout the school year to ensure that instructional staff has appropriate time for professional development and instructional planning.
• Two inclement weather make up days must be built into the calendar.
We appreciate your input and feedback.