Due to low enrollment numbers in grades 9 through 12, the Virtual Academy will not be an option at the high school level in 2021-22.
Kindergarten - 8th Grade
Limited Spaces Available
Apply Online Now through Monday, August 2, 2021
Virtual Academy Application
WSISD will accept applications for a new School of Choice—the WSISD Virtual Academy—slated to open for the 2021-22 school year. This school will offer a new redesigned and enhanced instructional model from the current virtual learning format. Current WSISD students and new Open Enrollment applicants (grades K-8 only) can apply online now through Aug. 2, 2021!
Students will have an opportunity to participate in electives, extra-curricular activities, clubs and more ... in person.
New K-8 non-resident Open Enrollment families should only complete this application.
Parents will be notified of acceptance no later than Aug. 9, 2021.Criteria & Requirements
- Student was academically successful in 2020-21 school year.
- Students' needs can be served remotely.
- Commitment for 1 semester
- Families must attend the required in-person, informational meetings.
- Student Engagement = Participating in classes with camera on, create a designated learning space at home, wear school appropriate dress
- In-person requirements: intervention and tutoring (if needed) and testing/assessments
- All Virtual
- Hybrid Model (Mixture of virtual and in person courses that allows students to attend school on campus for electives and/or extra-curricular activities)
Classes will be held during the normal school day.
- Core Classes: Students attend class at a designated time during school day (synchronous). *
- Electives: Students may attend classes in person, via computer program, and/or via online or pre-recorded lessons (asynchronous) * or live lessons (synchronous). *
- Extra-Curricular: Students attend in person.
- Endorsements: Limited endorsements available.
- * Asynchronous online learning: Students view instructional materials each week at any time, and this does not include a live video lecture component.
- * Synchronous online learning: Students log in and participate in class at a specific time with a teacher.
Virtual Academy enrollment can be revoked if student:
- Is academically unsuccessful;
- Fails to participate;
- Does not adhere to guidelines;
- Has excessive absences; or
- Administration recommends withdrawal.