September Events Calendar
- Campus & District Events and Activities
2018-19 WSISD Academic Calendar
Click here to view the 2018-19 Academic Calendar.
The WSISD Board of Trustees adopted the 2018-19 Academic Calendar on Feb. 20. The District Planning Committee (DPC), which consists of teachers, administrators, parents, community members and other school employees, develops the Academic Calendar.
Thank you to the parents and staff members who provided input regarding the proposed calendar. Feedback was overwhelmingly positive, including the implementation of 9-week grading periods and the Winter Break.
This year, the DPC proposed:
• the implementation of 9 week grading periods rather than 6 week grading periods. This will enable teachers to provide more in-depth instruction each grading period, and it provides a more equitable amount of days in each grading period.
• an adjusted Winter Break based on attendance data. This year's Winter Break for students was Wednesday, Dec. 20 through Wednesday, Jan. 3. Student attendance decreased significantly on Dec. 18 and 19 and Jan. 4 and 5 because of the two-day school weeks.
When developing the proposed calendar, factors the DPC considers are:
• Calendar development is driven by what is best for student instruction.
• The state requires that all students attend school for 75,600 minutes annually.
• Teachers must work 187 days per school year.
• The first semester should end prior to Christmas Break to ensure that secondary students may take final exams prior to the holidays.
• Staff Development Days will be placed strategically throughout the school year to ensure that instructional staff has appropriate time for professional development and instructional planning.
• Two inclement weather make up days must be built into the calendar.