2018-19 PROPOSED WSISD Academic Calendar
The WSISD District Planning Committee (DPC), which consists of teachers, administrators, parents, community members and other school employees, has developed the Proposed 2018-19 District Academic Calendar. Parents and staff members are encouraged to provide input regarding the proposed calendar Jan. 18 to 25. The official calendar will be adopted in February 2018.
The DPC will review the recommendations/feedback provided by staff and parents to create one final calendar that will be adopted by the Board of Trustees in February.
When developing the proposed calendar, factors the DPC considers are:
• Calendar development is driven by what is best for student instruction.
• The state requires that all students attend school for 75,600 minutes annually.
• Teachers must work 187 days per school year.
• The first semester should end prior to Christmas Break to ensure that secondary students may take final exams prior to the holidays.
• Staff Development Days will be placed strategically throughout the school year to ensure that instructional staff has appropriate time for professional development and instructional planning.
• Two inclement weather make up days must be built into the calendar.
This year, the DPC has proposed:
• the implementation of 9 week grading periods rather than 6 week grading periods. This will enable teachers to provide more in-depth instruction each grading period, and it provides a more equitable amount of days in each grading period.
• an adjusted Winter Break based on attendance data. This year's Winter Break for students was Wednesday, Dec. 20 through Wednesday, Jan. 3. Student attendance decreased significantly on Dec. 18 and 19 and Jan. 4 and 5 because of the two-day school weeks.
2017-18 District Academic Calendar
Due to testing calendar changes from the Texas Education Agency, the WSISD District Academic Calendar was revised on Aug. 2, 2017. Please make sure you have the latest version!
Thanks to all of our parents and staff members who provided feedback regarding the Proposed 2017-18 District Calendar.
- Based on the feedback from our community/staff, WSISD moved the first day of school from Monday, Aug. 21 to Tuesday, Aug. 22.
- Another area of concern was the scheduling of the Winter Break, which is designed to balance the number of days in the semesters and enable our secondary students to take final exams prior to the break. Several individuals recommended that the last day before Winter Break be Friday, Dec. 22. District Planning Committee members felt that student attendance would be even lower the last couple days before the Christmas holiday. Another recommendation was to end the fall semester on Friday, Dec. 15; however the number of instructional days during each six weeks grading period during the fall semester would not be equal, and it would be difficult to end the semester prior to the Winter Break.
We value our families' input, and we will continue to annually evaluate the calendar to ensure that it is the best instructional option for our students.